Sunday, December 1, 2019

News from Sue Polansky


News from Sue Polansky

  • I’ve been interviewed by the German quilting magazine “Patchwork Professional.” The feature article will be in their February 2020 issue. The editor sent a preview of their current issue, and I was pleased to see that the high quality photos were of art quilts and not limited to “patchwork.” She did send a copy of the article to me, but it is written in German, so I have no idea, and Goggle translate was not much help!  
  • I gave a trunk show and presentation entitled “Artistic Alchemy: The Magic of Inspiration and Ideas”  to the Wakefield, MA Nimble Thimblers Quilt Guild this month.
  • My quilt “Butterfly and Flowers” was juried into the Fall/Winter Juried Member’s Exhibition 2019 at the Whistler Museum in Lowell, MA. The show runs until January 25th, 2020. 
  • My quilt “Balancing Act” was juried in to the "con/TEXT" exhibition at Grace Chapel Art Gallery. The show runs until Wednesday, January 8.
  • I completed a non-quilt art project requiring over 5,000 masonry nails! “Point of Entry” is intended as Lady Liberty’s updated welcome mat (looking like a bed of nails). 
  • Another non-quilt art project is that I’m painting a mural of cute animals in hot-air balloons on the nursery walls for my first grandchild, Lillian Victoria.
  • I took a two-day workshop given by Susan Lenz. She makes layered and textured pieces, uses burning and melting techniques with soldering iron and heat gun, and adds a variety of stitch and bead embellishments. We started out with incredibly tacky, neon-bright polyester fabrics that I couldn’t imagine anything good coming out of and ended up with really interesting pieces that were curious blends of layers and processes. I’d recommend taking a workshop with her!
  • And lastly, I have begun work on my next big art quilt. I have to rely on my drawing skills to get the idea from concept to a plan, so it is requiring me to stretch! It’s been awhile since I’ve actually put pencil to paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment