Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Meet New Member Rebecca Linson Szetela

Meet New Member Rebecca Linson Szetela:


1: When did you start making art quilts?
December 2018
2: What type of work do you do - abstract/realist/representational...? What styles or techniques do you use?
This is hard to answer sine I have one quilt done and one in the design stage, but I guess somewhat realistic and somewhat representational. I start with a real image or images and then through the design process I work with changing the color to work with the design rather than to be truly realistic.
3: How did you learn the techniques you use? (Did you study with a mentor, self-taught, etc?)
My first (and only so far!) art quilt was inspired by Susan Carlson. I went to the N.E.Quilt Museum in Lowell during Susan's exhibit and I was blown away by her work. I was so excited by her quilts that I went back to the museum 2 more times, bought her two books, found YouTube videos she had made, started to design an art quilt of my own and then bought her online master class. The art quilt I designed and created (which is my first ever) was inspired by my understanding of how she creates her designs.  
6: How do you work?  Give us some insight into your design process?
I take a lot of pictures of flowers, birds, outdoor scenes and then I print them out and think about them. Then the most promising I trace to see what the lines look like and when I think I have a good design and picture I use photoshop and publisher to print it our full size in tiles. Then I do a color sketch, copy to muslin and start picking out fabrics.
8: What are your sources of inspiration?
The natural world is my source of inspiration but only as a starting point.
9: What is your studio like and when do you like to work?
My studio is also my business: Create!® Sewing Studio where I am owner, manager and sewing instructor. I have big tables, lots of sewing machines, good light, music peace and quiet and it is NOT in my house which is a major plus!
10: What are your goals or aspirations for your art?
I would like to make more art quilts! A major goal is to have enough of a body of work to have a one person show, but an intermediate goal is to be in a group show. My biggest challenge is time. Because I run the sewing studio and teach, it's challenging to find times that are free to to work (and make a mess!).
Make sure you also include the following:
Your Name: Rebecca Linson Szetela
Your Website:  www.createsew.com 
.

1 comment: