Friday, April 12, 2019

Meet New Member Denise Konicek

 Welcome Denise Konicek


1: When did you start making art quilts?
Like SO many others, I began making traditional quilts, got a bit bored, started making my own designs, and then since I had art training began looking for other ways to play with my fabrics. Attending a few of the larger quilt shows introduced me to the concept of art quilts about 10 years ago. Shortly thereafter a friend of mine who went from quiltmaking to one-of-a-kind fabric dragons nudged me to take my first art quilt class with Beatriz Grayson. Bea became my mentor and primary teacher, and since she has now retired from teaching she has referred students to me. 

2: What type of work do you do - abstract/realist/representational...?
What styles or techniques do you use?
I have not yet settled into a fixed style. I am in what I would describe as the 'late discovery stage.' Serious quilt artists generally are an inquisitive bunch, and the most common path seems to be working a large variety of techniques before settling into a specific area to create an extensive series. The largest number of quilts I have created to date are representational fabric collage, often mixed with piecing and other select techniques such as embroidery or selective fabric modification (paint, permanent marker) to get a specific effect.



3: How did you learn the techniques you use? (Did you study with a mentor, self-taught, etc?)
My most extensive in-person studies have been ten years of once-a-month master classes with Bea Grayson and a wonderful group of about 5 other fellow students. I have taken several one-off classes with a number of major quilt artists such as Katie P-M through quilt shows and guild offerings. Overall I have learned the most through the excellent textbooks that many quilt artists have written and my 'informal' self-study pursuit. I'm not sure any of us are truly self-taught. 

     
4: Do you have a favorite color palette? 

I prefer jewel tones to pastels or muted colors. However I try to be conscious of my biases and make compositions with colors I would normally avoid. My most severe color 'allergy' was pink. I grew up being sort of a tomboy and always avoided it. When I started getting serious about quilting I decided at one point to add pink fabrics to my stash and challenge myself to work with it. Although it is not my go-to color, it is now a comfortable part of my choices.

5: How do you work?  Give us some insight into your design process?

I generally start with a sketch of some sort. I have four notebooks for quilt ideas, roughly broken up by types of composition and/or anticipated size of quilt. I have yet to use a computer to do any design work. I studied 'traditional' art seriously earlier in my life and am used to sketching - I also think that it stimulates your brain in a very different way to physically hand-draw an image. Doesn't even matter if you do it at all well. Just gets those neurons firing.

6: Do you work on a single project at a time or do you work on multiple pieces at once?
I work on multiple pieces if I am 'stalled out' on my primary piece. I have found I am not artistically productive if I metaphorically bang my head against a wall trying to finish a piece just to get it finished. I'm pretty good at meeting deadlines, so if an exhibit opportunity or commission presents itself, I am comfortable setting my current projects aside to achieve that goal. 

Your Name:  Denise Konicek 
Your Website:  denisekonicekart (about 70% finished!)


1 comment: