Friday, March 11, 2016

Member Profile: Nina Hunt



I am pleased to write about Nina Hunt today. She has been making art quilts for about five years. You can keep in touch with her via her facebook studio page.

Nina Hunt

What type of work do you do - abstract/realist/representational...?
I do all three depending on the project.

What styles or techniques do you use?
I use glue basting, fusing, thread painting, painting, stenciling, etc. Whatever the piece needs to be completed.


How did you learn the techniques you use?
I have always loved art and got a BS in Fine Arts many years ago. Then I have taken classes with Wendy Butler Burns, Katie Pasquini Masapust, and other wonderful art quilters to learn many different techniques that I incorporate in my work.

Do you have a favorite color palette?
I prefer a cool palette.

Are you working on a particular theme or series now?
I am presently exploring spirals in nature. I use Adobe Photoshop to manipulate the images and then recreate the images in fabric.

What are your sources of inspiration?
Anything can inspire me, family, nature or a contest idea.

What is your studio like and when do you like to work?
I have just redone my studio incorporating more shelving and a cutting station. I like to work in my studio either in the afternoon or late in the evening.

What are your goals or aspirations for your art?
To create something of beauty that promote an emotion in the viewer.
To promote the field of art quilting among all artists.
To gain the respect of my fellow artists

Do you design your art with a purpose in mind (function of the piece, for a particular call for entry, a commission)?
I love the challenge of creating a quilt with specific idea in mind. Something I have done, for several years with a local gallery, is a writer/artist inspiration where a writer shares a written piece and I create the art to go with it. I then share a piece of art with them and they create a written piece to accompany it. The "Stain Glass Rose" is the picture I did for this years writers challenge. I also have participated in the Hoffman challenge creating an art piece for exhibition. "Gypsy Dancer" took second place in the Aurafil category for the thread painting. (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment