Monday, November 2, 2015

Member Profile: Jodi Scaltreto

It is wonderful to introduce SAQA member Jodi Scaltreto. I hope you will check out her website: www.Jodibird.com. She has an etsy shop as well.

Jodi Scaltreto


She recently answered some questions about her art quilts...

When did you start making art quilts?

I made my first two quilts in 1978 from squares I hand embroidered then sashed with commercial gingham check cloth. One of those two quilt still hangs in my best friend's bedroom. Then I did not do much quilting other than baby quilts for friends and my son. In about 1993 or so I met a friend who was into quilting and she took me to Keepsake there I was so overwhelmed with the amount of fabric and I was off and running making more bed size quilts which slowly got smaller and smaller. I used to work from patterns for my first art type quilts but now I do not use any commercial patterns since I don't want the hassle of getting all the permissions needed when I enter shows with my work. 


What type of work do you do - abstract/realist/representational...? What styles or techniques do you use?

Mostly I do thread painting of animals. I also have become very interested in the modern style of quilting with the bold colors and patterns so I have started to explore some of those type of quilts. I also like to do landscape type quilts from photos as inspiration. 

El Zorro


How did you learn the techniques you use?

I began taking classes when I was still making bed type quilts and little by little I started taking more classes with art quilting teachers. I like to take classes with as many different teachers who do thread work or painting on fabric to learn how others do it and take from them what works for me. 

Do you have a favorite color palette?

I tend to like bright colors like yellows and oranges but that can change too so really all colors work for me. 

Modern Mini 2



How do you work?  Give us some insight into your design process?

I like to have a reason to make something such as a theme or challenge. Then I will often go off in a direction to meet the challenge or theme. 


Do you work on a single project at a time or do you work on multiple pieces at once?

I like to start one thing and finish it with sleeve and label before I go on to something else. 


What are your sources of inspiration?

I use photos as my sources. I get them from my friends on social media or from places I visit and photograph with my own camera or phone camera. 

Herman Gulch



What is your studio like and when do you like to work?

I have a large space I share with my husband's hydroponic gardening in the room over our garage which is attached to our house. I work most anytime I want because I do not have young kids nor do work outside the home so when the mood strikes I work. 


What are your goals or aspirations for your art?

Some of my goals have been met. I wanted to have my work shown in galleries and at major quilt shows and I have been lucky to have been juried into both kinds of venues. I also hoped to have my work published in books or magazines which also has been fulfilled. Most recently one of my pieces was published in 1000 Quilt Inspirations by Sandra Sider.   So what aspirations do I have? I guess just keep making art and entering shows. 

How are you making the most of your SAQA membership? Which aspects of the organization are you enjoying?


I enjoy reading the SAQA Yahoo digest list and learning what others are doing. I like the calls for entry and have been lucky to be juried into one of the traveling exhibits and have my work in both my regional group exhibits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment